1. Can I continue work if job is posted with a Red Tag?

If you find yourself with a "Red Tag or Stop Work Order" posted on your job and/or property, you are required to cease and desist of all activities until you notify either the Chief Building Official, Code Enforcement Officer or the Building Inspector.

114.3 Unlawful continuance. Any person who shall continue any work after having been served with a stop work order, except such work as that person is directed to perform to remove a violation or unsafe condition, shall be subject to penalties as prescribed by law.

2. When am I required to apply for a Permit?

105.1 Required. Any owner or authorized agent who intends to repair, add to, alter, relocate, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or to repair, install, add, alter, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the code official and obtain the required permit.

3. What is exempt from requiring a Building Permit?

105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

1. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade and not over any basement or      story below and that are not part of an accessible route.

2. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work. 


 3. Temporary motion picture, television, and theater stage sets and scenery.

4. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, and not including service systems.

5. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R-3 or Group U occupancies.

6. Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 69 inches (1753 mm) in height.

4. Am I allowed to construct in Flood Hazard Areas?

104.10.1 Flood hazard areas. For existing buildings located in flood hazard areas for which repairs, alterations and additions constitute substantial improvement, the code official shall not grant modifications to provisions related to flood resistance unless a determination is made that:

1. The applicant has presented good and sufficient cause that the unique characteristics of the size, configuration or topography of the site render compliance with the flood-resistant construction provisions inappropriate.

2. Failure to grant the modification would result in exceptional hardship.

3. The granting of the modification will not result in increased flood heights, additional threats to public safety, extraordinary public expense nor create nuisances' cause fraud on or victimization of the public or conflict with existing laws or ordinances.

4. The modification is the minimum necessary to afford relief, considering the flood hazard.

5. A written notice will be provided to the applicant specifying, if applicable, the difference between the design flood elevation and the elevation to which the building is to be built, stating that the cost of flood insurance will be commensurate with the increased risk resulting from the reduced floor elevation and that construction below the design flood elevation increases risks to life and property.

5. What will I need to provide when applying for a Permit?

105.3 Application for permit. To obtain a permit, the applicant shall first file an application therefor in writing on a form furnished by the Department of Building Safety for that purpose. Such application shall:

1. Identify and describe the work in accordance with Chapter 3 to be covered by the permit for which application is made.

2. Describe the land on which the proposed work is to be done by legal description, street address, or similar description that will readily identify and definitely locate the proposed building or work.

3. Indicate the use and occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.

4. Be accompanied by construction documents and other information as required in Section 106.3.

5. State the valuation of the proposed work.

6. Be signed by the applicant or the applicant's authorized agent.

7. Give such other data and information as required by the code official.

6. How long is a Permit good for?

105.3.2 Time limitation of application. An application for a permit for any proposed work shall be deemed to have been abandoned 180 days after the date of filing, unless such application has been pursued in good faith or a permit has been issued; except that the code official is authorized to grant one or more extensions of time for additional periods not exceeding 90 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

7. Do I need a Permit to do repairs on my property?

105.2.1 Emergency repairs. Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the code official.

105.2.2 Repairs. Application or notice to the code official is not required for ordinary repairs to structures and items listed in Section 105.2. Such repairs shall not include the cutting away of any wall, partition, or portion thereof, the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support, or the removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; nor shall ordinary repairs include addition to, alteration of, replacement, or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent, or similar piping, electric wiring, or mechanical or other work affecting public health or general safety.

8. Where do I keep my Permit?

105.7 Placement of permit. The building permit or copy shall be kept on the site of the work until the completion of the project.

9. Do I have to submit plans for my project?

106.3 Examination of documents. The code official shall examine or cause to be examined the construction documents and shall ascertain by such examinations whether the construction or occupancy indicated and described is in accordance with the requirements of this code and other pertinent laws or ordinances.

10. What am I supposed to do with my plans for my project?

106.3.1 Approval of construction documents. When the code official issues a permit, the construction documents shall be approved in writing or by stamp as "Reviewed for Code Compliance." One set of construction documents so reviewed shall be retained by the code official. The other set shall be returned to the applicant, shall be kept at the site of work, and shall be open to inspection by the code official or a duly authorized representative.

11. When do I have to pay for my Permit?

108.1 Payment of fees. A permit shall not be valid until the fees prescribed by law have been paid. Nor shall an amendment to a permit be released until the additional fee, if any, has been paid.