Brandy Miller, an 8th grade student at Wallace Junior High School, is the 2018 La Paz County Spelling Bee Champion. Close competitor, Stephen Avila, a 6th grade student at Wenden Elementary School, was the runner-up. Both received trophies for their accomplishments. Brandy will also receive the traveling La Paz County Spelling Bee Trophy which will be proudly displayed at Wallace Jr. High School until next year’s contest. Additionally, Brandy’s name will be added to the perpetual plaque that is on display at the County Education Service Agency Office.
Brandy is the 13 year old daughter of Candice Miller and John Cunningham. She will represent our county at the state competition to be held March 24, 2018 at Arizona PBS Studios, 500 N. Central Ave., 6th Floor, Phoenix, AZ.
The county contest was held February 22, 2018, at the La Paz County Board of Supervisors Building with a crowd of family and friends cheering for their school winners. Judges for the event were Deanna Beaver, PUSD Governing Board Member; Leah Castro, County Treasurer; and Victoria Byrne, AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer, Academic Success and Empowerment Program Developer, Le Pera School. Robin Cooper, Arizona Western College, Quartzsite Learning Center Assistant, was the Pronouncer. Also assisting with the event were Michael Bellamy, La Paz County ESA Chief Deputy; Ariana Flores, Sr. Account Clerk; and Micaiah Miller, AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer, Academic Success and Empowerment Program Developer, Wallace Elementary School. Thanks were also given to the Spelling Bee School Coordinators, School Superintendents and Principals, and the La Paz County Board of Supervisors for providing the facilities and certificates.
There were a total of sixteen students from around the county who won their local school spelling bees and were given the opportunity to represent their school. Those students were:
• Eliyah Jagroop and Zevren Schwegel from Bouse Elementary School
• Danny Carter and Tanner Buck from Ehrenberg Elementary School
• Johanna Stillman and Angel Hernandez from Le Pera Elementary School
• Jade Lane and Connor Conley from Quartzsite Elementary School
• America Bojorquez-Avitia and Mildred Lajpop Pelico from Salome Elementary School
• Caydence Merritt and Maria Loudbear from Wallace Elementary School
• Annie Nguyen and Brandy Miller from Wallace Jr. High School
• Stephen Avila and Bryanda Navarro from Wenden Elementary School
Each participant received a congratulatory certificate from the Board of Supervisors and a Wal-Mart gift card from the La Paz County School Superintendent’s Office.